argyle

Monday, April 28, 2014

Silhouettes and Simple Projects...

Here is a little project that I was excited to try. I had seen these cute silhouettes of children, framed and adorning their parents' walls. I loved this idea, but was too cheap to spend the money purchasing them from someone else, so I decided to make my own. Here is what I did, and what you can do if you want to make your own too:

Step 1: Take a photo of your child's profile. It will be easier (later on) if you do this against a solid coloured background. If your child has long hair, it seems to work best if it's being worn in a pony tail.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Step 2: Print photo in whatever size you want the end product to be (I just used my computer printer)

Step 3: Cut out photo - don't forget to leave just a little bit of the neck, chest, and shoulders visible

Step 4: Trace cut-out onto black cardstock

Step 5: Cut THAT out

Step 6: Mount onto whatever background you like. I used white, but don't be afraid to use colour. A coloured frame with a white background would add a fun modern flair. I also liked the old-school style of mounting onto ovals, but many people choose to mount the silhouette directly onto the bigger background, and that looks great too.

Step 7: Frame your masterpiece. Voila, you are done!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As long as you can get your kiddo to sit long enough to take the original picture, it really isn't a difficult or time-consuming project...which you know I love! And you don't have to limit the silhouettes to photos of children, either. A favourite pet, cherished item, hand print, etc. are all good ideas too! Be creative!

Additionally, I wanted a better way to display my daughter's school "artwork" rather than just stick it on the fridge. A simple IKEA picture frame did the trick:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Creating things sure is fun, but also tiring. No wonder I have no energy for the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment