argyle

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Homemade Board Game

As I've mentioned a few times in previous posts, I recently worked on making a board game for my (almost) five-year-old daughter. She really enjoys playing games right now, and I wanted her to have one in her favourite theme: My Little Pony. So, after pulling ideas of out of my head, I let my creative juices flowing and got to work. Here is what I did:

First, I bought an inexpensive board game, so that I'd have a board, a box, and dice. I covered the box with wrapping paper and decorated it to match the theme of the game. This part wasn't really fancy or special.

Next, I covered the game board with scrapbook paper so that you couldn't see the original design.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then, I printed out various images of characters from the show to use for the game. This was the most time-consuming part, I think, because I really got into it!

I used more scrapbook paper, cut into circles, to make the "spaces" for the board, and heavier paper stock for cards to go along with the game.

I traced and cut and traced and cut like crazy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then the gluing began. You know the expression, "measure twice, cut once"? In this case, it's "check your layout twice, glue once"!

Of course once the board is done, you need some game pieces. Luckily miniature ponies are easy to fine these days :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You may also want to make a set of instructions of your game has more than a couple of rules - or am I the only one who forgets things that easily?

All in all, even though this was a time-consuming undertaking, it was also a lot of fun. I am pretty happy with the end result!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment