argyle

Monday, August 4, 2014

Lalaloopsy Bank Tutorial

I had a lot of fun making this bank as a present for one of my daughter's friends. There is just something satisfying about giving a unique gift that you made yourself. She and her mother both loved it, so my work was worth it! I totally stole the idea from my friend, Jenn, who made a Frozen-themed bank for my own daughter. All credit goes to her!

This is a fairly easy project, so I thought I'd write up a little tutorial for those of you who are interested in making one yourself. I promise, it's not too complicated!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Materials

- Glass block (I got mine at Michael's with a 40% off coupon, bringing the cost to around 10$. That's in Canadian dollars.)
- Picture that you want to use (I copy and pasted mine into Word, made it the appropriate size, then printed it at Staples because they print using a laser printer...this way the ink won't smudge when completing the project)
- Optional: second picture for the back of the bank. I did not do this.
- Stickers (to use as a border around the picture)
- Ribbon
- Modge Podge and foam brush
- Scissors

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To start, look at the "plug" for your glass block. Does it have a coin-sized slit in it? Great! If not, you are going to have to make one. I found that a plain old pair of scissors worked, but heavy duty ones would be even better.

Next, spread a thin (but not too thin) layer of modge podge over the area where you want the picture. The place the picture overtop. Use something like a credit card to smooth it down and get rid of any air bubbles that may be trapped inside. Wipe away any excess podge that leaks onto the glass.

Next, cover the picture with a thin layer of modge podge, and let dry for 30 minutes. Then do a second layer. This should be enough, but if not, wait another 30 minutes and put on an extra coat.

After that is dry, place your stickers around the perimeter of the picture. Make sure to press hard!

Next, tie your ribbon around, whichever way you like. Make sure to make it tight so that it doesn't slip!

Lastly, add a few coins to the bank. It's bag luck to give an empty one as a gift!

Voila! You are done! Easy enough?

One hint: I highly recommend printing 2 or 3 copies of the picture you are using, just in case you muck it up on the first attempt. I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment