argyle

Monday, July 14, 2014

Starting Over with Running

If you are a longtime reader of mine, you know that, as far as exercise goes, running is my one true love. I never would have thought that an exercise I formerly hated - that I formerly believed my body just COULD NOT DO - would become a passion of mine. Unfortunately, I lost a bit of that passion over the winter and spring. And while I was so excited to recently get back into the running game, I found myself struggling much more than I could have imagined.

I - who last summer knocked out a few 10k runs - struggle to finish 2.5k. When I did manage to complete a 5k the other week, I felt like I was dying. I was frustrated. I felt like quitting. I felt like a failure for letting myself slack off so much.

But, last night I had an "aha" moment. I realized that I am still much further ahead than I was when I started, and all it would take is a little more work to get back to my old running ways. I've never followed any kind of "plan" before, but I decided that maybe now was the time to start.

I found this one that I had pinned recently on Pinterest. It basically gives you a schedule to follow to go from being a non-runner to running a half marathon in 18 weeks. Now, I don't think I want to train for a half marathon anytime soon (maybe in a few years), but I liked the format of the schedule.

I decided to skip the first three weeks of walking and start at the "run one minute, walk 2 minutes" part. Yes, I can certainly run more than one minute at a time, but I hope that by following this program, I will be able to become a faster and stronger runner. So, that's why I am starting from (mostly) the beginning.

I am excited for the challenges that lie ahead, and I can't wait to update you guys on my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment