argyle

Monday, January 26, 2015

Healthful Cookies

So, some of you know that I hate to cook. But baking? Love it. The obvious problem with this is that baking tends to involve a less healthy (but super yummy) end result, so I don't end up doing it a lot. So I was delighted to find a more healthful cookie recipe to try. You may have seen it going around Facebook. Note: the end result will NOT look like the photo they show. It will look like this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The ingredients are:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (mine weren't overly ripe so I microwaved them to make mashing easier)
- 1/3 cup apple sauce (unsweetened is what I used)
- 2 cups oats (I used quick oats)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (I recommend unsweetened...I actually used unsweetened chocolate)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips. I used chocolate chips, but with the cinnamon raisons would be a great choice too.

You want to set your oven for 350 degrees. The instructions said to bake 15-20 minutes, but I only baked them for 12 because my oven is crazy like that. I made the cookies on the small side, so it made 24 at just under 70 calories each. DELICIOUS, and except for the chocolate chips, no added sugar!

The recipe was from the Facebook page "Health is Wealth". I may have to stalk their sit for more recipes.

As for the end result? Well, they aren't pretty looking, but DELICIOUS. My 5-year-old refused to try them due to how they looked, but my little guy enjoyed his! My husband, on the other hand, looked like he wanted to divorce me just by looking at them :)

I say they are worth a try!

I was actually thinking that you could probably add some almond slices and bake them in muffin liners to make a half-decent quick breakfast. Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment