argyle

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Aaralyn's First Day of School

Yesterday was my daughter's first day of kindergarten. Please feel free to insert any cliché along the lines of "Oh my gosh, they grow up so FAST!" here. It's all true.

I'm not sure where it works elsewhere, but here where I live, kids have two years of kindergarten being entering grade one. Attending kindergarten is optional, but it's part of the public school system, so most people choose to enrol their children. Starting next year, every kindergarten class in my province will run for the full-day. Right now, my daughter is only going in the afternoons, and I think it's going to work out very well for her. Also, the classes mix both the junior and senior kindergarten students, which means that Aaralyn gets to be in the same class as the boy next door. Fun!

BUT...can we get back to her first day...and the TOTAL REJECTION I experienced?

My child did not cry on her first day of school. This is good. My child did not freak out and refuse to listen when the teacher asked them to come inside. This is also good. But my child also DID NOT CARE ABOUT HUGGING HER MOTHER GOODBYE went she went in for her first day. What the heck?!?!? One child had to be physically extracted from his entwinement around his mother's waist, but MY child doesn't even care that I'm leaving. I'm so offended. *pout*

Nah, it's all good. And today, we're going to try the girls (my niece is attending the school as well) on the bus. Only kindergarten students in my neighbourhood qualify for the bus, so I guess we should take advantage of it while we can!!!

Still...I'm just not ready for my little girl to grow up...

In other news, I peeked at the scale today, and it looks like I'm already down a pound. This is great, but I know that my official weigh in on Friday might not be, as I'll probably be PMSing badly (re: water retention central) by then. This is why I gave myself permission to peek today :)

Have a great week, everyone!

P.S. The kindergarten teacher has a blog for the classroom. How freaking COOL is that?

3 comments:

  1. Its awesome that the kindergarten teacher has a blog for the classroom! That will be so adorable :)

    Aaralyn breaking mommy's heart :( But yes, its good she didn't cry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! I felt the exact same way when I dropped my baby boy off at daycare for the first time a few weeks ago. He actually smiled and laughed when I dropped him off. Come on, make mommy feel like she'll be just a little missed! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lines like "Oh my gosh, they grow up so FAST!" might be a bit cliché, but that doesn’t make it any less true. Some parents can’t help but feel that way on their baby’s first day at school. It could bring out conflicting emotions such as being happy for your child’s milestone, and feeling sad at the same time with the thought of them growing up long before you’re ready for it.

    Ed Harper @ Crayon College

    ReplyDelete