argyle

Monday, June 24, 2013

Cardio Cure

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been sick for the past week or so. I’m finally starting to feel better, thank GOODNESS. Summer is here, and darn it, I want to enjoy it!

After getting lots of rest last week, and still feeling crummy on Saturday, I tried something different. Something I call the “Cardio Cure”.

The Cardio Cure was discovered several years ago when I forced myself to go to the gym when I was battling a bad cold. I suffered through the workout, but as it neared its end, I realized that I was actually starting to feel better. When I left the class, I was breathing better and coughing less than I had been before the class started. My nose had also stopped running. And the next day, I felt great.

It could have been a fluke, of course, but now that’s what I do when I’m sick – with a cold only - and nothing else is working. I force myself into a workout, and see how I feel. I am in NO WAY undermining the importance of rest when you are feeling down. That is the most important thing to do, and skipping exercise is usually for the best. But when nothing else is working, and I’m not TOO sick…this is what I try.

On Saturday, though, it did not work.

I tried to go for a run. It turned into a walk pretty quickly. In fact, I practically crawled home at the end. Then I tried going in the pool with my daughter and nearly hacked up a lung. So I spent the evening trying the whole “rest” thing again. It seemed to help this time.

So the moral of the story is…



…don’t listen to me when it comes to curing your cold. I don’t know what I’m talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment