argyle

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

How to Measure Success

What's on my mind right now? Measuring Success

There are many different ways that people use to measure success in regards to weight loss and maintenance. The most common, hands down, is the dreaded SCALE. How much weight has been lost? Many also take measurements, which in my opinion is a fantastic option. Some look at body fat percentage, which is a great idea, but difficult to do accurately. Taking progress photos is another great choice. Others track their BMI (Body Mass Index) to see changes there - when the classification finally goes from obese to overweight and then to "healthy". Ahhh...healthy...

But let's hold the phone for a minute. I need to get this off my chest. I HATE the Body Mass Index. All it does is compare your weight to your height, and voila - it thinks it can decide whether you are healthy or not. Well, let me tell you...Mr BMI is not as smart as he thinks. He can't tell how much of your weight is from muscle or fat. He can't tell if you are healthy enough to run a marathon. He can't tell the difference between a 300 pound body builder and a 300 pound couch potato (Note: I am NOT judging couch potatos). I am personally offended by the BMI right now, in fact. Look, I get that I am overweight. But it's telling me that I am obese - OBESE - and yet I don't even wear plus sized clothes. That boggles my mind. Sure, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but still...doesn't that seem strange to you?

Where was I going with this? Oh, I forget. I think my point was that there are many ways to measure success when you are trying to slim down, and you have to try to figure out which way works for you. Or something. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment